Monday, May 25, 2009

Comments: Guys, can you help me define FILIPINIANA?

Brian Tenorio Guys, can you help me define FILIPINIANA Thanks

12:58am · Comment · 
Chris Jalandoni
 Chris Jalandoni
FILIPINIANA, I think, is a slang for anything Filipino. I guess.
Kurt Torres
 Kurt Torres
errr philippine lit books' section in the lib?
Joel Suplido
 Joel Suplido
It refers to Philippine-related literary material, and literature written in Filipino and other Philippine dialects and languages.
Mike TheMechanic
 Mike TheMechanic
Anything by Patis Tesoro or found in Nayong Pilipino. Meron pa ba nun?
Leah Camilla R. Besa-Jimenez
Refers to artifacts of the culture of the Philippines, reflective of its history and even folklore.
Ernan Munoz
 Ernan Munoz
pertaining to the culture, heritage, history and traditions of the Philippines and its people
Raab de Boracay-Manila
 Raab de Boracay-Manila
anything in reference to filipino culture?
Markus L. Schmidt
 Markus L. Schmidt
We went to the Villa Escudero fiesta yesterday. Theme was Filipiniana... which refers to your outfit of course and is anything traditional or modern Filipino... from Mindanao to Ifugao. Traditionally however Filpiniana refers to the southern Luzon "Spanish influenced" style like the barong, the terno etc... or the camisa de chino...
Paulo Angelo C. Famularcano
My stab at this: Any product of the Filipino culture of the colonial era.
Alodia Cecilia Mascenon Sales
...think, Maria Clara :)
Kat Palasi
 Kat Palasi
maybe any product of the mix of cultures between east and west. so where does INDIGENOUS fit in, i wonder. i really don't have an answer. Filipino-made comes closest to my mind...?
Brian Tenorio
 Brian Tenorio
I actually am more concerned about the range of the ideas from the comments -- from slang to literature -- to Philippine-made. Very interesting...
Kat Palasi
 Kat Palasi
I sometimes get irritated when all i see during "Filipiniana" occasions are the traditional "ideas" of what is Filipino--baro't saya,camisa de chino,etc. and then it stops there. so mangyan,igorot,ilocano,bicol, etc is non existent. and tourism officials don't know what the f*ck they are promoting.see, i am showing my irritation again, b.....
Joseph Lim Jr.
 Joseph Lim Jr.
I had no idea there are tourism officials in the philippines
Jam Yap
 Jam Yap
I guess if you compare it with the term "Americana," then "Filipiniana" could be defined as artifacts of the culture of our country typifying that of a certain period/era's. I agree with Paulo on the "colonial era" bit - my take on the timing is the beginning of the 20th century, all the way to the Commonwealth era but before WWII... when ... Read More
Brian Tenorio
 Brian Tenorio
The Americana comment makes a lot of sense. When the I googled the definitions online, they are very different though. I will need to check how often "Americana" as a term is used and how effectively. I rarely here it in the US too. Let's see... hehehehe thanks everyone!

No comments: